Follow on: Follow on Bloglovin Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Share to: Share on Tumblr

Latest post

Latest post

Tuesday 7 May 2013

DIY - From turtleneck to lace panels top



 So, a while ago I came across an old turtleneck (top left pic is an internet image of a very similar turtleneck to the one I had), which I have forgotten at the back of my closet. Doesn't this happen to all of us?! :) I like and wear  turtlenecks a lot, but this particular one felt very warm and never wore it too much. So,  given I was really in the mood for a diy I thought I would take my chances at reconstructing this. I had a lot of spare lace and didn't really mind ruining this as I wasn't wearing it much.
The idea was to have panels going on the sides and up the sleeves (top right pic - and now I've learnt not to take white on white pictures, sorry....). Midway through the project I thought to add the lace collar too for more of a ladylike touch.
This project was done a couple of months ago, so unfortunately there are no step by step pictures, but I will do my best to explain what I did. Also, I made some images myself to try and help with the intermediary steps and of course will answer any questions about it. Another thing I should mention is that this took a really long time to complete and needed a lot of patience from me because I don't have a sewing machine, so had to sew everything by hand!

Materials:
- needle and lots of thread, the same colour as your turtleneck.
- lace - this should not only fill in what you originally cut form the turtleneck, but allow a bit of fabric on the sides, to adjust on the way.
- scissors.
- pins.
- tape measure.
- I added some pearl like beads on the collar.

Steps:

1. Think where you would like your lace inserts to go, and put pins in to mark it. If you think it would help, use a pencil to draw on the inside part of it.
2. Take a deep breath, get your courage together and cut alongside the pins you had put in at step 1, as in:
I also cut off the neck at this stage, thinking I will make it like a sweater type top :) Plus, it's easier to handle if you cut the neck off from the beginning - given we'd put in pins and have to turn it inside out and what-not. Save the turtleneck in order to construct the collar out of it.
3. Measure the length between the underarm and the bottom end of the jumper. Cut a piece of lace of that length + a few inches allowance. Also the width of the piece of lace depends on the fabric of the jumper and the style you want to create (loose, fitted etc).
4. Measure the length between the underarm and the end of the sleeve. Again, cut off this length + allowance from the lace fabric. For the sleeves, make sure you cut the lace in a triangular shape, so it narrows as you go towards the wrist. This way the sleeves will follow the arm shape and not be bell-shaped (unless you are going for that style ;) ).
5. Pin the lace on the jumper, making sure that the ends of both materials join on the inside of the jumper. This can be a bit of a tricky and time consuming procedure, as you'd have to make sure that everything aligns well and is of the same dimensions. This is where the allowance comes in ;)
6. Sew, sew, sew - carefully sew everything on, of course on the inside of the jumper. When you reach the ends of the sleeves and the bottom of the jumper, turn the lace inwards to make a seam.
7. Sew the underarms. Here, what I did (after thinking a lot how to join the 2 parts together) was just to sew it across (from the back of the jumper to the front), see pic:
8. Cut all the excess fabric you are left with on the inside.
9. Now, for the collar, I made a little image demonstrating this step:

a. Cut open the turtleneck
b. Draw the collar shape you want on it and of course allow for extra fabric. Measure the neckline on the jumper in order to have the same dimensions. Cut out your collar
c. Cut the same pattern on the lace material
d. Sew the lace on the collar
9. Attach the collar to the top by sewing it along the neckline. Also, I sewed it all along the rounded part too, so it stays fixed on the jumper.
10. Attach embellishment - I added pearl beads, but something of a different colour, for contrast, could work just as well.
The finished results:



 This was for me a very big project to undertake and I am very pleased with how it turned out. Any comments and opinions are more than welcomed! Thank you.

16 comments:

  1. Very good Job! I like especially the pearls on the collar makes it look more dressy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am into the collars a lot, and always need a bit of pearl :)

      Delete
  2. in sfarsit am reusit sa vad ce ai postat. este interesant. sper sa nu te reprofilezi. dar este foarte reusit ce faci. ai ceva inclinatie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multumes mult, ma bucur ca ti-a placut :)

      Delete
  3. such a cool DIY! Love the collar, and what a difference it made to a simple T!

    xo Chie
    www.vivatveritas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chie, thanks so much! I am glad you like it :) xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee xx please come back again ;)

      Delete
  5. Any new crafts to be uploaded? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this following week I will upload a woven studded necklace tutorial that turned out amazing :) hope I have time to prepare the post..thanks for checking back x

      Delete
  6. Nice job! It turned out really great. I love totally deconstructing and re-imagining items in my closet--if they don't turn out it was something I was going to toss out anyway! Love the Peter pan collar :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! That's exactly what I thought, if i ruined it I wasn' t using it anyway :) I just bought a sewing machine and I think it would be easier for me to reconstruct stuff from now on :) I do have some ideas for oldc and thrifted clothes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you sewed it all by hand. That must have taken forever. Looks cool though--great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, it did take forever!! It is a nice result, but now I have a sewing machine to help me :) thanks for taking the time to leave a comment ;)

      Delete
  9. Great job! I really like the pearl detail on the collar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, thanks for the comment, I am glad you like it, come back for more nice diys :)

      Delete

Pen and paper - write your thoughts :)