Follow on: Follow on Bloglovin Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Share to: Share on Tumblr

Latest post

Latest post

Friday 17 May 2013

Diy - woven studded necklace


I found out about these type of necklaces about a month ago, and they might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they do make a statement. They are quite powerful by themselves, so they are not really a daytime choice in my opinion. What I really like about this style is that it combines thread and chain, so, although it is a statement piece, it is youthful as well.

Materials:
- chain: I did mine double and quite close up to the neck, so you'd need at least double the size you want it
- 4 colours of thread - the one I used is thick one (embroidery thread I think); of course you can make your own design by using different colours and numbers of threads
- studs
- nail polish of the same colour as your chain, if the studs are not already matching
- scissors
- sewing thread
- clear fabric glue
- necklace closure

Steps:
1. Start braiding the thread on the chain by passing one colour through one chain ring from underneath upwards and then pulling it underneath the second colour. Continue the process using the second colour, and so on.. I used red and dark blue as my first 2 colours.
2. Do the exact same thing as step 1, but using the second piece of chain and the second set of colours, which for me were light blue and coral.
Step 1
Step 1

Step 2







3. At this point, I wanted to join the 2 chains together, and had a few ideas on how to do this, including sequins and studs. I decided to go with the studs, as to me they make more of a statement.
Step 3
Step 4

4. Optional - paint the studs to be the same colour as the chain by using nail polish ;) you will have to leave them dry for a safe time interval, just to make sure the necklace won't be ruined.
5. Place the studs alongside the chain, kind of like mock joining the chains, to arrange and position them. Make sure you arrange the necklace in a circular shape before placing the studs. This will ensure that the necklace will be bendable, and not stiff.
Step 5

Step 6











6. On the back of each stud, attach thread to its legs and bend them to hold the thread in place.
7. Pass the thread coming from each leg of the stud through the rings of each chain, in the position established at step 6. Tie at the back. 
8. Using fabric glue make sure the thread is glued to the back of the necklace. This will help ensure that the studs won't come off and also that the back is neat and no loose thread will show on the front.
Step 7
Step 7
Step 8


Step 9
 
9. Wait for the glue to dry and turn transparent.
10. Put on the necklace closure.

11. Rock it!!!










As always, I would really like to hear opinions and read comments! :)




6 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love it! I've been wanting to try something with chain and thread or fabric like this for a while... thanks for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emily, I am happy you liked it and found it useful :) if you do end up trying it, I would love to see your results! x

      Delete
  2. Loving your necklace, it turned out great! It's a statement but not too bold!

    Hope you are well!
    Kisses
    angelinainlove.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angelina,
      Thanks so much, I am glad you like it..yeah I am very happy with it, I think it's wearable even at a casual outting with a toned down outfit :)
      Like your pinterest boards a lot ;)
      Xxx

      Delete
  3. This necklace is verrrrry cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much, I am glad you liked it :)

      Delete

Pen and paper - write your thoughts :)