Follow on: Follow on Bloglovin Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Share to: Share on Tumblr

Latest post

Latest post

Sunday 16 June 2013

DIY - Shirt collar necklace

 


When I was really into the collar necklace trend, I also discovered the shirt collar necklace, which I thought was an amazing idea!! Still, I did not want to ruin one of my shirts or buy a shirt just to cut the collar off. The idea I had instead was to make the collar from scratch using an old pair of jeans I was not using anymore. Because I thought the project involved much more sewing than I was up for, I waited until I got the sewing machine to do it :)
The first thing I did was to find a video showing how to make the collar from scratch. I will detail the steps below, but the video that helped me a lot (and describes the steps faster and easier) is this:


Materials:

- fabric
- a shirt to measure the collar
- sewing machine or neddle and thread; I also had invisible thread for some parts
- scissors
- chalk
- lace for embellishment
- snap fastener
- pins

Steps:

1. Using your favourite shirt, mark the contour of the collar on the fabric. Don't forget to leave about 2cm allowance.There's the pointed part and the base part. Mark these separately, on the back (inside) part of the fabric. I did this on the leg of the jeans, so I cut 2 pieces each from the beginning.
Step 1.

Step 2. 
Step 2.
2. Pin the 2 pieces (top and bottom) together as the pic shows, and cut along-side the pattern you marked.
3. Once you've cut it, you have to sew the 2 pieces together as:
- for the pointed pieces, sew along-side the outer part (the one that will be folded outwards) and on the side parts.
- for the base part, sew on the sides and the bottom part of it as it will sit on your neck.
The pictures say more than 1000 words :)

Step 3.

Step 4.
4. Turn both of the parts your are left with inside out.
5. Place the pointed side inside the base part, and sew along-side the part that overlaps. I used invisible thread for this :)

Step 5.
Step 6.









Step 6.

Step 6.








6. Using pins arrange the decorative lace as you think you want it. Before sewing mock try the collar on, to see how everything looks when you fold it on the neck ;) when you are happy with the design, sew on the lace. If you feel inspired add other embellishments.  I added a bit of pink lace as well, for contrast. You can add rhinestones,  buttons, pearls or whatever else floats your boat :)
Step 6.

Step 7.
Step 7.
7. Try it on again to see where you need to place the snap fasteners, and sew them in. Take extra care at this last step ;) You don't want to place them misaligned and ruin everything at the end!!

Step 7.

And voila! You have a beautiful shirt collar!! Tip: this goes amazing with an androgynous outfit, but with very girly hairstyle, make-up, jewellery and shoes! Have fun with it, I know it did! :)
If you like this, would like to hear it :)

3 comments:

  1. wow, who knew an old pair of jeans cane make something this creative :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment and for dhecking it out x

      Delete
  2. we are just so swamped with house buy everbuying necklace

    ReplyDelete

Pen and paper - write your thoughts :)